"eSIM" standard was developed by Association of mobile operators called "GSMA" and described in SGP.02 specification. This standard provides global interoperability between potentially different MNO deployment scenarios, different makes of network equipment (for example SM-DP, SM-SR) and different makes of eSIM platforms. As a result, it allows easy downloading of multiple mobile profiles onto eSIMs via mobile data channel.
SGP.02 standard is compatible with most consumer and IoT devices, so any mobile operator can produce eSIM cards in different form-factors and distribute them among its subscribers and device vendors.
Full Device Requirements List:
- Unique IMEI (International Mobile Equipment Identity) value
- One of the network access technologies: GERAN / UTRAN / E-UTRAN
- New network selection after SIM/USIM update
- RPLMN details (LAC/TAC, NMR)
- QoS (failures, duration, power, location)
- SMS management
- SMS-PP Mobile Termination
- BIP including support of commands:
* "OPEN CHANNEL" (UDP and TCP over IP) * "CLOSE CHANNEL" * "RECEIVE DATA" * "SEND DATA" * "GET CHANNEL STATUS" * ENVELOPE (EVENT DOWNLOAD - Data available) * ENVELOPE (EVENT DOWNLOAD – Channel status)
- Set of SIM Toolkit commands:
* "FETCH" * "TERMINAL PROFILE" * "TERMINAL RESPONSE" * "POLL INTERVAL" * "POLLING OFF" * "PROVIDE LOCAL INFORMATION" (location information, IMEI, NMR, date and time, access technology) * "SEND SHORT MESSAGE" * "SET UP EVENT LIST" * "REFRESH" Command ("UICC reset") * "TIMER MANAGEMENT" * ENVELOPE ("TIMER EXPIRATION") * ENVELOPE ("EVENT DOWNLOAD" – location status, call connected, call disconnected, Access Technology Changed, Network Rejection) * ENVELOPE ("SMS-PP DOWNLOAD")
- Support of following AT-commands:
* "AT+CCHO" (Open Logical Channel) * "AT+CCHC" (Close Logical Channel) * "AT+CGLA" (Generic UICC Logical Channel Access) * "AT+CRSM" (Restricted SIM access)
Basic Subscription Management Diagram
Functionality of "Subscription Management Data Preparation" (SM-DP) and "Subscription Management Secure Routing" (SM-SR) platforms is described under "Subscription Management" section.